Need Help? Call the Call the Westmoreland County Crisis Hotline at 1-800-836-6010 or dial 988 for the National Suicide & Crisis Lifeline.
.Help is available 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. You’ll be connected with a trained counselor ready to assist you with issues of suicide, depression, and personal crisis. Call 1-800-836-6010 now! Dial 988 for the National Suicide & Crisis Lifeline.
Suicidal Thoughts? Suicide is NOT the Answer.
If you are having suicidal thoughts, help is available and recovery is possible.
- Call 1-800-836-6010. Westmoreland County, PA Crisis Hotline. T.T.Y Accessible
- Dial 988 for the National Suicide & Crisis Lifeline.
- Dial 911 in case of emergency
- Check yourself into the nearest emergency room
- Tell someone who can assist you in getting help right now
- Avoid objects and situations that might result in injury
Suicidal thoughts can be successfully treated. Even if you don’t have health insurance, make the call or visit the nearest hospital emergency room immediately. A counselor will investigate community programs and resources appropriate to your situation.
Are You Concerned With Someone Being at Risk of Suicide?
How do you know if someone you care about is at risk of suicide? Most people having suicidal thoughts, but not all, give many clues and warning signs regarding their suicidal intentions. Risk factors and warning signs include the following.
- Suicide threats and previous suicide attempts
- Suffering from depression
- Out of character behavior, dramatic mood changes, and recklessness
- Making final arrangements
- Feelings of desperation, hopelessness, and being trapped
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Substance abuse, especially if excessive or increased
- Aggressive or impulsive personality behaviors
- Withdrawing from friends, family, and society
What You Can Do
- Show you care, be genuine
- Ask the person directly if he/she is having suicidal thoughts and ideas
- Listen carefully and reflect on what you hear
- Ask if they have a plan for ending their life
- Ask if they have access to lethal means (pills, weapons, etc.)
- Get help (call the numbers, follow the instructions at the top of this page)
- Always take suicide threats seriously
Studies have shown that talking to someone about suicide lowers anxiety and decreases suicidal thoughts.